Saturday, 2 October 2021

LIVING HYPER-VIEW


LEDAKAN PEMERHATI YG 'HYPER' 

Satu lagi lori panjang. Yg pendek tumpu, takyah layan, takpa. 

HYPER-VIEWERS. 

This is another long entry, not for those with short attention span & lack sense of focus.

22 years ago, 4 years after coming back from my Master's in the US in 1993, I shared my hyper-viewing. I was partly echoing Ismail Zain's foresights in his "Digital Collage" (1988). The works were my respond to the emerging hyper-modernity then. Partly also in respond to the ultra-modernity of Malaysian art.

After I came back, sometimes I felt a bit like a stranger in my own country. I had a bad time justifying my ideas to people around me. I was taken by angst & cynicism. Angst & cynicism (and the eventual parodies) were even taken as my motivations, sentiments & 'artistic stratergies'. There were lots of arrogance in me too. The exhibition in 1997 was also a reminder for myself of what to come & expect.

Today, most of us r hyper-viewing through social media & the internet on a daily basis. We are the hyper-viewers. Hyper-modernity & post-modernity are running amok. Many things are deconstructed & probably will b in a state of permanent deconstruction. There is no binding & unifying narrative. There are too many fragmented & opposing narratives, each deconstructing its others. Angst, cynicism & parodies are  everywhere, even fore-fronted for profits (bad news & bad people sell like hotcakes). They are like an orgy of media & online toxic discharges. Too much of online toxic discharges are bad for mental health. They epitomize a critical healing crisis period.

We are in a period of healing crisis. There are many clear signs for a society in a need of healing, now. We need healing, critically. Yet the call for healing has always been shut by constant denials & scepticism. The denials come in many levels - individually, collectively, insititutionally. I have experienced such denials & scepticism few years ago. Instead of 'belas' (compassion), many were attracted to 'belasah' (bashing each other).

The healing is within. The healing takes place within the inner-net, not internet.

Wake up la please. NOW.

22 years ago, or even 31 years ago, I wonder what would happen if we responded proactively to the foresight & reminder from my late guru, Ismail Zain, in 1988.

(Edited from Jiwa Halus blog at

http://hasnulsaidon.blogspot.com/2019/08/reviewing-hyperview-1997.html?m=1)





No comments:

Post a Comment

BOLEH KE SUKAT NILAI SENI, BUDAYA DAN WARISAN DGN PEMBARIS LURUS?

 Susul tulisan brader Naser Baharuddin "Adakah subjek seni boleh bantu ranking universiti". Throwback 27 Jun 2013 Oditorium Balai ...