PEACE PREVAILS

May peace prevails upon all beings on the earth and beyond. You may scroll down to browse the contents of this blog.

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

CHICKEN BRIYANI IN FUKUOKA

There I was, waiting for my chicken briyani while drowning myself with the smell of massala and tandoori from Calcutta. As I was about to pamper myself with the familiarity of Restoran Nasi Kandar, a row of Sochu, White Horse, Chivas Regal and Peter Scot Whisky greeted and mocked my homesickness. A hanging scroll splashed a picture of Lord Ganesha ...in a colorful mandala, dancing back and forth with a fusion of Hakata wind and Hindi songs. Two Indian men in turbans with Kamal Hasan's mustaches smiled at me as they uttered 'Konichiwa!' while giving a Japanese bow. Pasted on a wall behind them was a map of India and a picture of Taj Mahal. As the doorbell of the tiny Suraj rang, I could see a Shinto shrine across the narrow sidewalk. The street noises of Tenjin woke me, reminded me that I was still in Fukuoka, to enjoy the irony of globalization and the parody of free market capitalism.

Fukuoka
2003

No comments:

Post a Comment