PEACE PREVAILS

May peace prevails upon all beings on the earth and beyond. You may scroll down to browse the contents of this blog.

Monday, 18 June 2012

GETTING HIGH? GETTING REAL? (PART 9)

Very fitting indeed to be at Kuah, Langkawi Island, today. Langkawi features a serene, sublime, breathtaking and tranquil sky, ocean and natural landscape that never fail to invite me to 'get high'; only to be pinched (get real) by the irony of free market capitalism and globalization. 

Langkawi has been my favourite cultural text for post modern ironies at work - of getting high and getting real; a space that is both lucid and conFUSED (plus the whole baggage of re-used, refused and abused). 

I just came back from having my lunch at a Thai restaurant that echoed ambiance Thai songs and music to make me feel like I was in Krabi or Phuket. For a while I thought I was, not until I was greeted with 'salam' by a Malay waitress. 

By then I could hear a French women talking loudly on her handphone in French, while a couple from Hong Kong tried to enjoy their spicy Thai friend rice. An Arab family was having a language problem in asking for a plain white rice. 

Around me, in front of most of the duty free shops, I saw shoppers busy getting high, while the shops owners busy getting real. 

A smile from the waitress (she was from Thailand actually), reminded me that I was in Langkawi, enjoying the parody of globalization and free market capitalism.

Time for me to get high and get real simultaneously.



No comments:

Post a Comment